Friday, August 25, 2017

Dear Diary (Week 15),

I realized something... Maybe my standards are too high. When I talk about standards, I'm referring to how nice I expect others to be, particularly in relationships. I recognize that I myself have faults. I'm constantly working on myself. But it never ceases to surprise me how there are men who aren't bothered by being half the man they could be.

OK, I get it, some people have this idea that once a man finds the one, he gets so inspired that he becomes his best self. While there's always room for improvement, no one should wait around for another person to inspire them. We must inspire ourselves. I believe working on ourselves will only make us a better match for that special someone. What healthier relationship is there than two people who've worked hard on their selves?

Fine, I get it some men are just looking for something casual and couldn't care less about how the other person sees them. But we're the main beneficiaries of working on ourselves. Our souls, minds and bodies benefit. Self-improvement is a lifestyle that everyone must adopt, in my opinion. I can give a man the tools to be greater but the bulk of the work lies in his hands. Trying one's best is what matters. And not quitting gives us an even better chance at achievement of our goals. What's success without curve balls? But what are curve balls without any self-improvement?

I expect so much of myself that I have a hard time understanding how some people don't. I'm constantly searching inwards for guidance on how to realize a better version of myself. I accept myself today but expect to be better tomorrow. I seek to be a better human. No one is perfect but everyone could be held accountable for not trying to perfect themselves to the best of their abilities. Not to try is to fail before we even gave ourselves a chance.

Love,
Faigy

No comments: