Saturday, November 19, 2016

Love Should Not Be Blind

One day I was notified on facebook that a guy who I'll call "D" accepted my friend request. I don't know this guy and figured that I must have accidentally added him. Nevertheless, I was intrigued by his facebook profile picture. So I decided to check out his profile. When I saw his pictures I was in awe. I thought to myself that this is my ideal guy...physically, of course. I felt this excitement that I haven't felt in a while. I messaged him and we quickly got to talking, when the conversation turned sour. He basically told me that if I want him to like me, I must send him a naked picture of myself. I felt disappointed and disgusted. I told him no and we pretty much stopped speaking after that. Although I was still tempted to message him I knew that it would be a bad idea so I didn't.

I thought about why I was tempted to message a guy who treated me with such disrespect and realized that it was due to my loneliness. That was confirmed when talking to other guys made me less preoccupied with D. While lacking that special someone left me with a void, I knew that it wasn't a good reason for me to get involved with someone like D. Sometimes a guy/girl can be "perfect" minus this one big fault. You might have a great connection with a guy but if he almost never invests his time in you, is he really worth dating? Well, depends on your needs. For example, if you want to be with him for him (and not his money) than perhaps you won't be happy with him. It's important to recognize that everyone has faults. But it's also important to not ignore things about him/her that really bother you. I had to be realistic and tell myself that D and I are looking for very different kinds of relationships.

Many of us, including myself, ignore things about our partner that really bother us from the get-go, only to have these issues resurface later on. That is, we become blinded by love. But we shouldn't. Doing so will lead us to regret later on. We must not lose sight of our reasonable expectations and values. Be mindful of who you give your heart to. Meeting D was an opportunity to prove to myself that I'm capable of putting infatuation aside and make the conscious decision to stay away from an appealing guy who I know is not right for me. Face the problems and decide if they are reconcilable. If they aren't,  move on. Don't let love, or infatuation blind you.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I totally agree. I feel that we should stuck to that instinctive feeling we get before we lose ourselves in a "live story". That guy feeling you get in the beginning is never wrong!