Sunday, January 7, 2018

Me In The Mirror

With me, what you see is not what you get. I am more than my face and body. I am more than my sexuality. It is unfair how so many men define me by my physicality and neglect to see me for who I am as a human being. Nevertheless, what matters most is my own perception of myself. As long as I respect myself, I will only allow people in my life who deserve to be in it. Others will not succeed to shame me for being me because only I control the way I feel. Besides, judging others is easy but being in their shoes is impossible. 

I am not what I attract. I did nothing to deserve the pain some men in my life have inflicted upon me. My only mistake was giving these men too many chances and hoping that they will change for the better. The way I look, dress, talk and act does not justify the way some men treated me. I just let the wrong people get away with treating me badly. No one gets to blame men’s mistreatment of me on me.

In addition, when it comes to the way I look, dress, talk and act, the only person I have to answer to is the person I see staring back at me in the mirror. I do not have to change my ways. I do have to change who I let into my life. I am comfortable enough in my own skin to know that it is OK if not everyone likes me. I recognize I am not perfect. I am still finding myself and growing into a better version of myself. Yet, it is my journey and I will not allow others to tell me which path I must take.

Right now my commitment is to myself. I owe it to myself to surround myself with people who are kind and limit the toxicity in my life. I owe it to myself to be around people who do not judge me. I owe it to myself to be around people who like me the way I am. I know my potential as a partner and as a mother. I know that when I will be in those roles I will not be perfect but I will try my best. I owe it to myself to be with a man who sees that potential in me too.

No comments: