Sunday, April 23, 2017

The Dramatic Life Of A Single Girl

Either it always follows me or I always follow it. It's a being in itself. It's a dark force. It consumes me. Once I inhale it, I must exhale it. It stands between me and my happiness. Drama...I'm so over it.

Drama has more to do with my reactions to situations than the situations themselves. Drama might follow me but my reactions to situations is something I can control. That is, when a problem arises, I can choose to be a part of it and react in a dramatic fashion, or keep my cool and distance myself from the drama.

By going into dates with no expectations, it's easier to distance myself from the drama. This is because when things don't work out, I can move on, without putting up with any drama. Instead of seeing the potential with a guy I barely know, I remind myself that what I see is what I get. It's not up to me to change a guy, it's up to him.

I no longer want to argue with guys I barely know. I no longer want to explain to guys why their behavior is appalling. And I no longer want guys to make me feel like I'm an emotional wreck who needs to calm down. I also try not to become reactive when guys offend me because I'm tired of fighting. I shouldn't have to tell guys to treat me right.

The hardest is not giving guys too many chances. I often think if only a guy behaved differently in such and such respect, we can be good for each other. But what actually ends up happening when I give a guy too many chances is that the arguments reoccur and it's always the same old drama. Giving guys chance after chance keeps me stuck in an unhealthy cycle. Arguments are normal but at one point enough is enough.

Drama keeps me chained to the present. It holds me back from a great future with someone special. By going into dates with no expectations, refusing to argue with guys over things that should be clear to them and not giving them too many chances, I'm set free from negativity.

No comments: